Convert rtf to txt using this free simple utility. This tool takes your rich text files and saves them as Unicode text files. It can do batch rtf to txt conversion for multiple files. No installation is necessary, it is a stand alone utility. This is a very simple rich text to txt converter, nothing fancy.
The resulting txt file will be saved in Unicode encoding so scripts in languages other than English (non windows-1252 character sets) will be handled correctly. You should not have character corruption or garbage characters. If you do, please drop a note and I will check.
How does rtf to txt converter look?
How do I use rtf to txt file converter to batch convert?
- Download rtf to txt converter utility using the link above (if you get a browser security warning, select to continue downloading)
- Launch the utility by double clicking on RTFtoUTXT.exe
- Either drag or drop your rtf file(s) or click “Select Files” and point to the files that you want to batch convert rtf to txt. Hold CTRL down while selecting a file to select multiple rtf files
- Click “Convert” to start the rtf to txt conversion process
- Wait until the rtf to txt conversion is completed. Conversion time will depend on the number of files you selected and the size of each file.
That’s it. Converted Unicode txt files will be saved in the same folder as the source files that you selected.
Update – The converter initially used an Office method. Thanks to the great suggestion of, Etienne Kroger, the converter is now using a different method which does the RTF to TXT conversion much faster.